My version of Starbucks Lemon Loaf

Searching for something for dessert, my gaze landed on a lemon cake mix high up in the pantry. I checked the date. YES! It hadn't expired. So, I put on my thinking cap and tried to decide what to make with this artificially flavored box of powder. Don't get me wrong. I love a cake mix. So versatile, you can come up with pretty much anything from dinner rolls to coffee cake to cookies. But what to do with that cake mix...

Then I had a thought. I love...I mean LUV...Starbucks Lemon Loaf. But, I rarely eat it because, hey, $3.50 a slice, and I'd have to actually get in the car and drive to a Starbucks. Two things I'm loathe to do. So, what the heck. I'd make one. Actually, I made two.

So this recipe is what I came up with using things I had on hand. And it's pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. Moist and flavorful, but not too much so. Give it a try.


My copycat version of Starbucks Lemon Loaf

Ingredients:

1 18.5 ounce box lemon cake mix
1 container vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
1 box lemon flavored instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup lemon juice (yeah, you can use the stuff in a bottle, doesn't matter)
1/3 cup canola oil

For the icing:

1.5 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1 lemon
enough milk to make a thick but spreadable icing

For the loaves:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 8x5 inch loaf pans with cooking spray.

Mix all the ingredients together, and beat until smooth, about 40-50 strokes. Don't overdo this or you'll have puffy loaves instead of flat. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick. If the toothpick does not come out clean, leave in the oven for another 10 minutes and check again. 

Remove from the oven and let sit in the pans for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the pans and allow to cool completely. 

Prepare the icing and spread evenly over the top of both loaves. Allow the icing to set for at least 10 minutes before slicing. 

It's so moist and just the right amount of lemon flavor. Not overpowering. Serve with whipped cream and blueberries if desired. Makes 2 loaves, serves 12 generously.



Comments

Popular Posts