Porcupine Meatballs

Remember these from when you were a kid? This is the Hunt's original recipe from 1948, with a couple of very minor tweaks. The one you probably had at school lunches, or when your mom was in a hurry to get dinner going. It's very quick to prep, and then you can relax a bit while it simmers. Serve with a veggie like green beans, broccoli or asparagus.

Try it. Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this oldie but goodie.



Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 egg (optional)
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice, washed until water is fairly clear
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used 1/8 cup dried onion flakes because I was out of onion. Just as good)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cans tomato sauce (or 1 15 ounce)
1 cup water
olive oil (or grease) for browning

Note: All the ingredients marked optional are what I added to the 1948 recipe for various reasons, mostly taste, so feel free to leave them out.

Directions:

Mix together all but the tomato sauce and water.




Form into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (I use the medium cookie scoop from Pampered Chef). Brown in olive oil (the original says grease, but...).




Combine tomato sauce and water, and pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 45 minutes.




Note: I browned in a separate pan, not because you need to, but because I wanted to season my skillet a little. Also, I've seen recipes for these that don't brown before adding the tomato sauce, but I've tried them and found that the meatballs didn't hold together well and I ended up with meat and rice sauce instead.



Serve with sauce and your choice of salad or veggie.

Adapted from Hunt's Tomato Sauce recipe circa 1948.

Comments

Popular Posts