Slow Cooker Chicken, Green Beans and Potatoes

Okay, so maybe for my first post I didn't do anything Baked, Broiled, Beaten or Stirred. Instead I opted for simplicity and using a small appliance everyone should own. 

I'm convinced that the one thing every kitchen needs, even beginners (maybe especially beginners) is a Crock Pot. It's not the most foodie thing to own, but there are so many ways it can be used. It's not just for cooking a roast anymore, but can be used for breakfast, desserts, even yogurt making if you're really careful. I'll be posting recipes for all these things eventually, and it's why I wanted to start my new food blog with a recipe using the slow cooker. 

This chicken recipe can be made with either boneless, skinless breasts or thighs, or with bone in skinless breasts or thighs. With bone in cooking times might need to be extended slightly, just check the chicken for temperature. It should reach 160 degrees when tested in the center of the thickest point. This recipe can also be used for pork loin roasts or beef roasts, but I personally prefer the chicken.



I've seen similar slow cooker chicken recipes that use ranch dressing mix and chicken gravy mix sprinkled on the top. I've made those, and they're really great, but with all the salt and additives in the mixes, plus the half-stick of butter you put on top of the chicken... Tasty indeed, but think of the calories, fat and sodium! So this is what I think is a healthier version of that recipe. It's easy for even the novice cook, and it's fast to put together and leave for work or throw into the slow cooker for Sunday dinner. 

The recipe in full is listed below the pictures and step by step directions, along with that full fat version.

First thing I do is spray the crock of my slow cooker generously with cooking spray. It makes clean-up so much easier. Then I layer the center 1/3 with sliced onions as a bed for the chicken to lay on.


Layer the chicken on top of the onions, then stack the green beans on one side, and the potatoes on the other. 

Gather the ingredients for the sauce:


Normally I'd use fresh squeezed lemon juice. The taste is definitely much better, but it was Sunday, and I was lazy, so the stuff in the bottle would have to do. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice, then add the spices and minced garlic and stir.


Pour over the chicken, potatoes and green beans. Set the slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. I really do recommend low unless you're in a hurry, because I feel the high setting makes the chicken a little dry. If you're using thighs instead of breasts then high is usually okay.


Finished product:



Slow Cooker Chicken, Green Beans and Potatoes

1- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders or thighs, or 4 boneless, skinless breasts
1 lb green beans, stem ends removed
1.5 lb small potatoes (I prefer Yukon gold, but any type will do), cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 large onion, sliced
1/3 C olive oil
1/3 C lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)
1 T Italian seasoning blend
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
cooking spray

Spray the crock pot insert generously with cooking spray. Layer the onion down the center 1/3 of the crock pot. Place chicken (it can be frozen, if you don't have it thawed) on top of the onion. Layer the potatoes and green beans on either side (see picture above). Combine the olive oil and lemon juice and whip to form a vinaigrette. Add garlic, Italian Seasoning, salt, pepper and onion powder. Stir to combine. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. High is only recommended in moments of desperation. If you like crispier green beans, you can just reserve the space for them and add them during the last hour of cooking. You can use an oven as well, but I've never actually done it that way. I would estimate 375 degrees for about 1 hour, stirring the beans and potatoes frequently. 

FULL FAT VERSION

Instead of making the vinaigrette, you simply combine a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix and any brand chicken gravy mix, then sprinkle that over the chicken in the crock pot (I usually only sprinkle half, and save the other half in a zip lock bag for the next time I make this). Top the chicken and seasoning mix with 1/2 stick butter or margarine. 

That's it! Please comment below and let me know any other recipes you'd like to see here.

Happy eating!

Comments

  1. I love my crockpot too. Looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts